Monday 14 April 2014

KCW Part 2

I didn't get as much sewn during KCW as others did but I managed to complete another two items by the end of the weekend.

I snapped up the new Oliver + S t-shirt patterns on Friday (there's something there for everyone!) and then whipped up a long-sleeve school bus t-shirt from some plush velour I had in the stash.

size 4

back hanging wonkily

This was a simple sewing project although I fluffed around with the neck because the velour kept rolling up and moving when I was sewing it.  I probably should have followed the suggestion on the pattern to baste the neck in place but I was a bit too eager to finish and then, of course, I ended up taking quite a bit longer than I had hoped.   So, what should have taken an hour took considerably longer but I'm reasonably pleased with the finished product.  And the less-than-perfect sewing will be hidden when it is being worn

 I eventually achieved a neat neckline!


Yesterday I made a jump rope dress (view B).   The body of the dress is made from a spotted, soft corduroy - with a nice drape - that I bought at Spotlight  and I used more mustard Kona cotton for the collar and placket.  I knew that it would be impossible to get a really crisp finish on the placket if I used the corduroy so I decide to pick out one of the other fabric colours.  I was a bit undecided about making the collar in the same fabric but I checked the Flickr group and saw that people had tried all sorts of colour combinations. So, off I went…


size 4

When I showed the finished dress to my husband, he said it looked like a spotty school dress.  Hmmm, I'm not too sure what that means but I imagine this dress is the sort of thing that a group of 'darls' from an Australian sports team would wear for "dressy casual"… i.e. (way too much of) that garish yellow and green combo.  Luckily, the little girl's mum is an Aussie so she'll probably love it and hopefully she'll be reminded of the warm glow of those golden soils and boundless plains that are just across the sea….


cute little buttons from NYC in just the right shade of yellow on a straight placket (really, it is!)
 
pocket from main fabric to avoid yellow overload


These headed home with dad today so it will be interesting to see if he is as good with a tape measure and squirming girl as he is with a big needle and a different sort of moving target….



4 comments:

  1. Would you believe I have some (almost) all-black fabric that I was thinking would be good for a Jump Rope View B. Well I simply shan't do it now (arms crossed petulantly!) ;)
    The neck line looks perfect. The velour is wow(!) and your jump rope placket looks impeccable.
    I never had a school uniform but I have heard it said by other Aussies that the Jump Rope dress in gingham is very school uniform-ish. Yours is great and it's quite the wrong shade of green to be sporting patriotic. (I think...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All Black is always a winner! And so sophisticated. Just ask Coco and Audrey.... Every girl needs an All Black (jump rope) dress in their wardrobe

      Thanks for the compliments and for pointing out that I haven't inadvertently made a dress that meets the requirements of the Aussie sporting colour code. Phew!

      Delete
  2. I once made my daughter a Jump Rope dress - View A? - in a blue check. It looked very school uniform-like, almost too much so! The Jump rose dress would probably be my favourite O+S pattern, it was the first one I bought too.
    Gorgeous work once again, and I love the colours! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Taryn! That blue uniform check is so ubiquitous here, isn't it. It's a shame really because blue can be so pretty and I like a nice check dress etc. my sister thought the purple check I used for the library dress also made it look school-uniform-ish but I guess that's what we are used to

      Delete